Good day! Welcome to my home page at Athabasca University. I am
originally from China, but before I came to Canada I studied and
worked in Australia for about seven years, which was long enough for
me to fully enjoy the hot yet nice weather. By now I have worked at
Athabasca University for some years already, which is also long enough
for me to learn about Alberta's cold winter. But, I still enjoy
it. "It's so cool!", once I told my friends in Australia.
- Ph.D.,Computer Science, The Australian National
University, Australia, 1999
- M.Sc., Computer Software, Jilin University, China, 1988
- B.Sc., Computer Systems and Architectures, Jilin
University, China, 1985
I have been an educator for all my years, though I worked and
collaborated with people in industries and governments in many
occasions. I like my career. I like to be a teacher because I felt
really good when I saw my students have learned.
2000.9 - present: Associate Professor Centre for Computing and
Information Systems Athabasca University
1998.10 - 2000.8: Research Fellow School of Computing and Information
Technology University of Western Sydney, Australia
1988 - 1994: Lecturer Department of Computer Science Heilongjiang
1993: Computer system consultant Daqing Oil Company, China
Current Teaching Duties
Since I came to AU in 2000, I have developed six online courses. Most
of these courses were developed either entirely or partially using
EduPalace, an integrated e-learning system for Web-based distance
education. To assist students in taking these courses I have written
some additional contents, called lecture notes for the courses I
developed. These lecture notes
intended only for AU students who are currently registered in the
respective courses. The courses I have currently teaching are:
- Comp 266 - Introduction to Web Programming. You
may find additional information about the course at Comp 266 lecture notes
- Comp 347 - Computer Networks I You may find
additional information about the course at Comp 347 lecture notes
- Comp 466 - Website Technology This 400 level
course will teach you how to develop Web sites for enterprises and
for doing some real business. After this course you will be capable
of developing personal home pages, business home pages, Web-based
e-learning systems, Web sites for e-commerce and e-business. The Web
CSS, DHTML, MySQL, PHP, XML, Java Servlets and JSP. Before taking
this courseStudents should have studied computer networks, databases
and at least two Java programming courses and have some good
programming skills in general. You may find additional information
about the course at Comp 466 lecture
- Comp 604 - Enterprise Computer Networks You may
find additional information about the course from Comp 604 lecture
notes when they became available.
- Comp 660 - Enterprise Information Security You
may find additional information about the course at Comp 660 lecture
notes when they became available.
- intelligent systems modelling, design and implementation
The generic intelligent system model I developed and presented at
IJCAI'97 is called constrained object hierarchy (COH). In this model,
an intelligent system is a binding of some agents and a world, and for
the agents the world consits of some objects, which can be worlds
themselves, some defined methods the agents can use to act in or upon
the world, and constraints representing the relationships between
objects and the methods. Further in this model, constrants are
classified as identity constraints, goal constraints, and trigger
constraints. Identity constraints define the identity of the world;
goal constraints set the goal for the agents to achieve; and the
triggering constraints tell the agents under what conditions some
defined actions should be taken.
- universal logic (UniLog) for knowledge representation I
will describe UniLog in more detail later when I have time.
- network security: computer viruses, firewalls, security
protocols, policies and formal methods for analysing network protocols
- enabling-technology for electronic commerce
- agent systems including multi-agents and mobile agents
- object-oriented programming methodology and language
(GISMO for Generalized Intelligent System Modeller)
- enabling-technology for e-learning: this is the area I
have been working on since I came to this university.
Recently Completed projects
EduPalace - an integrated system for Web-based distance
education Since I joined AU in year 2000, my biggest undertaking
in research is this project. I have designed and implemented EduPalace, an
integrated system for Web-based e-learning and e-science.
- DigOL I have also been working with a student on a project
called "data mining algorithms
and techniques for discovering learning objects on the Web" ,
which was funded by the university as a mission critical research. The
final goal of this research is to develop an intelligent Web minging
system that can be used to discover learning objects for a given
teaching topic, and automatically generate entries in learning object
repositories. You may get the latest release of the Web mining package
by reading through this user
manual. The original project proposal can be found here. To get the bottom of
the technical details you should read the technical report, and you
are invited to send me your comments and suggestions.
Proposed Research Projects
- Topic map discovery and management
- Automatic learning object discovery
- Learning objective based course authoring
- Intelligent course authoring system
- Comprehensive student assessment with EduPalace
- Knowledge representation with constrained frames
- Develop software agents with constrained frames
- User authentication for multi-role and multi-module Web-based systems
Publications and presentation
Over the years, I have done research in several different areas, as
can be seen my education and work experience above.
Papers in Distance Education, intelligent agent and intelligent systems
- Hongxue Wang, Develop online courses with EduPalace, in
proceedings of The Tenth Global Chinese Conference on Computers in
Education (GCCCE), June 205, 2006, Beijing, China
- Hongxue Wang, C-Frame: Constrained Frame as a General Knowledge
Representation Scheme, in proceedings of the 2006 International
Symposium on AI?50 Years' Achievements, Future Directions and Social
Impacts (ISAI'06) Aug. 1-3, 2006, Beijing, China
- Hongxue Wang, Running virtual schools with EduPalace, in
Proceedings of ED-MEDIA - World Conference on Educational Media,
Hypermedia & Telecommunications, Montreal, Canada
- Hongxue Wang, Using simulation and demonstration in teaching
computer networking and network programming, in Proceedings of
ED-MEDIA - World Conference on Educational Media, Hypermedia &
Telecommunications, Montreal, Canada
- Hongxue Wang, A Web-based platform for teaching programming in
distance education, in proceedings of The IASTED International
Conference on Education and Technology (ICET), July 5-7, Calgary,
- James Patras and Hongxue Wang, DigOL - a system for mining
learning objects from the Web for e-learning, in proceedings of the
first International workshop on Advanced Technologies for e-learning
and e-science (ATELS04), Beijing, September 2004
- Hongxue Wang, XEML - an extensible educational markup language
for e-learning, in proceedings of the 7th IASTED International
Conference on Computers and Advanced Technology in Education (CATE04),
Kauai, Hawaii, USA, August 16-18 2004
- Hongxue Wang, Pete Holt, Developing mobile agents for Web-based
distance education, in proceedings of the Fourth IASTED International
Conference, Banff, Canada, June 27-29, 2001.
- Hongxue Wang, Pete Holt, The design of a course update mobile
agent for Web-based distance education, accepted for publication at
The Second Asia-Pacific Conference on Intelligent Agent Technology
(IAT-2001), Maebashi TERRSA, and Maebashi City, Japan. October 23-26,
- Hongxue Wang, Pete Holt, A course update mobile agent for
Web-based distance education, to appear in Proceedings of Fifth IASTED
International Conference, Mexico, 2002.
- Hongxue Wang, Pete Holt, Designing an integrated system for
course delivery on the World Wide Web, in Proceedings of Fifth IASTED
International Conference, Mexico, 2002.
- Hongxue Wang, Pete Holt, Security issues in Web-based distance
education, accepted for WebNet'2001, Orlando, Florida, 2001.
- Peter Holt, Hongxue Wang, et al., A Distributed Adaptive Learning
Environment, submitted for The Third International Conference on
Web-Age Information Management, Beijing. August 2002.
- Hongxue Wang, Pete Holt: The Design of an Integrated System for
Web-based Distance Education. In proceedings of 2002 International
conference on E-Learn. Montreal, Canada, October 15-19, 2002.
- Larbi Esmahi, Pete Holt, Hongxue Wang et al., An essay in e
learning tools categorization, in Proceedings of the IASTED
International conference on Computers and Advanced Technology in
Education, Cancun, Mexico, May 2002.
- Hongxue Wang: Using Java to develop Web-based geographic
information systems, in proceedings of International Conference On
Computer Graphics and Spatial Information System's2002, Aug.6-8, 2002
- Hongxue Wang, Yan Lang, MSDL-A Language for Describing Scripts of
CAI System in Multimedia Computing Environment, in Proceedings of
International Conference on Electronics Higher Education, 1993. This
decade-old paper was listed because in which I proposed an idea for
teaching scripts markup in CAI systems, which is similar to that we
are now using for the Web.
Papers in E-Commerce, Internet and Information Security
- Hongxue Wang, An Access Control Scheme for Web-Based E-Learning
Systems, in proceedings of the 7th international conference on
information technology based higher education and training, July
10-13, 2006, Sydney, Australia
- Hongxue Wang, Vijay Varadharajan, A new approach to reasoning
about accountability in cryptographic protocols for E-Commerce, in
Proceedings of first workshop on security and privacy in E-Commerce,
Athens, November 2000. "
- Hongxue Wang, On Mobile Agent Based Schemes for E-commerce on the
Internet, in Proceedings of International Conference on Intelligent
Information Processing, IFIP, 2000.
- Hongxue Wang, Vijay Varadharajan, A generic logic for the
specification of security policies in distributed computing
environment, in Proceedings of SEC2000: International Conference on
Information Security, IFIP, 2000.
- Hongxue Wang, Vijay Varadharajan, Yan Zhang, Towards a unified
logic for analysing cryptographic protocols, in Workshop Proceedings
of The 20th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems,
IEEE Computer Society, April 2000.
- Hongxue Wang, Vijay Varadharajan, Yan Zhang, Reasoning about
Accountabilities in Cryptographic Protocols for E-commerce using a
Generic Belief Logic, in Proceedings of First CollECTeR (USA) -
Conference on Electronic Commerce, Breckenridge, Colorado, USA, April,
- Hongxue Wang and Yan Zhang, Two facets of Internet security, in
Proceedings of Asian-Pacific Web Conference, 27-30, Sept., Hong Kong,
US CSREA publisher, 1999.
- Hongxue Wang, Yan Zhang and Vijay Varadharajan, A secure
communication scheme for multi-agent systems, in Proceedings of The
First Pacific Rim International Workshop on Multi-Agents, pp.174-186,
- Hongxue Wang, Using Dynamic navigation panel to enhance the
quality of Web page browsing, in Proceedings of International
Conference on Internet Computing, US CSREA Publishers, 2000.
- Hongxue Wang, The Design of an Intelligent Agent for Collecting
Information over the World Wide Web, in Proceedings of Asia Pacific
Web Conference (APWeb98), International Academic Publishers, 1998.
- Hongxue Wang, an Investigation into the Mechanisms of Multiple
Infection of Marijuana Virus, Journal of Microelectronics, No.7,
1993. This paper is listed because it represents my early work in
Papers in Object-Oriented Design, Modelling and Programming
- Hongxue Wang, Vijay Varadharajan, John Slaney, Towards Perfect
Objects, in proceedings of the 32nd International Conference on
Technology of Object Oriented Languages & Systems (TOOLS-32
Pacific'99), IEEE Computer Society, 1999.
- Hongxue Wang, John Slaney, GISMO: a language for modelling and
developing agent-based intelligent systems, in Proceedings of the
Fourth Australian Workshop on Distributed Artificial Intelligence,
- Hongxue Wang, extended first order logic for quantitative
reasoning, in Proceedings of the International Conference on
Artificial Intelligence, 2000.
- Hongxue Wang and John Slaney, Towards Knowledge Encapsulation, in
Proceedings of the 21st Australasia Computer Science Conference,
pp.193-204, Springer, 1998.
- Hongxue Wang, Constraint Resolution within Object Hierarchies, in
Proceedings of the Eleventh Australian Joint Conference on Artificial
Intelligence, Springer, 1998.
- Hongxue Wang, Constrained Object Hierarchies - an architecture
for intelligent systems, Doctoral Consortium Abstract, in Proceedings
of the twenty-six International Joint Conference on Artificial
Intelligence, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 1997.
- Hongxue Wang, John Slaney, Distributed Scheduling with
Constrained Object Hierarchies, in Proceedings of International
Symposium on Operations Research and its Applications (ISORA'98),
World Publishing Cooperation, 1998.
- Program director for BSc-CIS program at Athabasca University.
- member of the university's e-learning advisory committee (ELAC)
- member of the university's academic council (AC)
- member of Undergrduate Study Board at Athabasca University
- member of BSc program council for CCIS
- member of MSc.IS program council
Other things you may or may not want to know about me
to fix things. If you have something broken please don't hesitate to
bring it to me. I also like to read WuXia novels especially those by
Jin Yong (金庸). As for sports, jogging, cycling and table tennis are my
If you still want to know more about me, please send me a message and
I will redirect you to my personal homepage somewhere in the
cyberspace. I can be reached at
Hongxue (Harris) Wang
School of Computing and Information Systems
1 University Drive
ATHABASCA AB T9S 3A3
Canada/US Toll-free : 1-866-301-6337
Fax: (780) 675-6148
This page was last modified on November 29, 2005.